Because every woman needs a little Therapy...

Friday 25 February 2011

Layering

Hello Ladies,
Today I'm going to talk about layering. I've just completed my buying for AW11, and it's all about layering.


You know what I mean, putting a vest under a shirt under a knit, with a belt - that sort of thing.


We're not great at it in Petworth. I've spent 7 years buying Danish collections - Part Two being our best known one. The Danes love layering! They do it effortlessly, it's in their DNA. 


I used to work with a Danish Company and spent time in Copenhagen. The Danish women as a rule appear to be tall and attractive and dress with style.


I think Danish fashion suits us in the UK. The fit and spec of their clothing is most suitable to our shape and size - compared to the French or Italians, who make everything tiny. And their pretty, casual styling is ideal for our busy country lives.


Here in Petworth we like to live and live well - just like the Danes. And like them we suit layering.


Now my most successful layering takes place every morning - PJ bottoms, fleece boots, a vest, an old jumper consigned now to bed-wear, an old cashmere cardi and a Dr Who type scarf.


I didn't say it was pretty! As the central heating warms the house through I shed layers, until I stand washed & made up & dressed - ready for the day. 


This winter I tried a bit harder. I can hardly encourage you dear customers if I don't do it myself. And I'll tell you something - it feels good. I feel good!


One of my favourite outfits this winter was a Oui printed top, a Part Two wool gilet, a pair of Jackpot needlecord jeggings tucked into fab knee high olive suede boots. I really felt the business! It was smart and warm and different enough to make me feel confident - but as comfortable as my favourite PJs - perfect.


Now this is the perfect time of year for layering. It's tough just now, coping with the endless grey skies and motivating ourselves to come out of hibernation. What we need is some pretty Spring colours and print cottons to give us a boost.


So wear a new Spring top with a long sleeved tee shirt underneath and an Autumn gilet over the top. Or try a pretty jersey printed skirt with a plain dark knit and boots - like me today.


I saw one of our customers mix a long sleeve tee with a floral cotton tea dress and a pair of jeans. It looked fantastic and gave her a fresh look while still practical.


We have loads of pretty tops and tunics, little cardis and different shapes in jeans. So if you're needing a little retail therapy and don't know what to buy, think layering!


Happy dressing!
Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment